Study Shows That Fat Burning Workouts May Increase Post Exercise Food Consumption

Fat Burning Workouts

Yet another reason to find exercise that you enjoy and forget about how much you burn! A new study recently published in the journal Appetite found that labeling a workout as “fat burning” may increase post exercise food consumption in exercisers who “self-impose physical activity” (yet another reason I don’t like giving out calorie burn counts for my workouts).

Subjects were asked to cycle for 20 minutes and were then offered pretzels after their workout. The “self imposed’ exercisers (those who reported higher stress, fatigue and less positive associations with exercise) ate more when their workout was labeled “fat burning” versus endurance exercise.  Interestingly, the study authors report that “no such effect was expected for individuals who do not self-impose physical activity but consider exercise enjoyable.”

The takeaway? Don’t put too much stock into what a workout is called (fat burning or otherwise) and find fitness that you enjoy for the best long term health and weight loss results.

Click here to read the full abstract.

Leave me a comment below and tell me what you think! Does the name or intensity of a workout ever effect your eating habits? Have you ever found yourself eating more after a “fat burning” workout?

avataravataravataravataravatar

• MARIA BARRO June 3, 2016, 10:37 am

I am really so excited when I found your website. I used to do LESLIE SANSONE downloads workouts but I stop using it after I start using your workouts. I really like your workouts because of the upper body workouts and I really sweat a lot,, i used to go to the gym but i cancel my membership because of these workouts. i workout 4 days a week MONDAY TO THURSDAY after work. i workout as soon as i get home. sometimes i am hard time doing some workouts because our apartment is carpeted and it is hard to workout in carpets wearing shoes. but i really do enjoy your workouts, and always looking forward to workout with you. thank you!! MARIA

• mishadonald July 22, 2014, 12:02 pm

It sure is possible to burn out from over-exercise. It is also quite a chore to get back to your earlier momentum after taking a break over the holidays. I almost gave up working out some years ago, when I made both mistakes at the same time. Before then, I had never tired myself out with too much exercise, or taken an extended break. The combination almost broke me. Thankfully, my best friend and workout buddy got me back on the rails. I’ve never had the same problem since. Wasn’t until much later that I realized this wasn’t as uncommon as I’d thought before.

• jesso514 June 25, 2014, 10:35 am

I think this could totally be true. I went on vacation earlier this month, and had been doing very intense or double workouts for months before to make sure I was skinny for it. Since I’ve been back, I am completely burned out and disinterested in even moderate workouts, forget intense. I’ve been enjoying walking my dogs and hiking, and doing some pilates. I’m also thinner than before my vacation, and not nearly as consumed with thoughts of eating. I like working out hard, but I’m def enjoying not right now.

• Enni June 12, 2014, 3:16 pm

Interesting, and I definitely can easily see this being true. Most people I know want to lose weight and still eat cakes and chocolate, which can be fine, but when you first start working out after a break it’s easy to overdo it and that combined with the less than healthy foods you’ve eaten make you feel weak and lethargic and you end up wanting nothing more than a sugar hit after your workout. And sugar makes you want more sugar, it’s an incredibly vicious circle, that I know.
    I often hear people talk of exercise sessions in terms of how many Mars bars (or their favourite) it will burn.
    I have come to the conclusion (from experience and talking to others) that you need to find and exercise you genuinely like doing (there’s lots, it’s possible) and you’ll stop thinking of it in relation to food, and when that happens you no longer crave (at least not as often) a chocolate/sweeties/ice cream/burger straight out of a workout. This happened to me, these days I have a lower appetite on the days I work out and have to really fight not to ruin it on the days I don’t. I’m lucky that I live in the countryside so I can just go for a walk whenever to clear my head.
    One reason why I find the internet so wonderful, especially Youtube, is that if I come across a workout I don’t like I can turn it off without feeling guilty as there are thousands of other videos and I’m bound to like some of them.

• GingerAmy June 4, 2014, 7:28 am

I have to agree. When I used to do cardio kick boxing for one strenuous hour, I would finish soaked in sweat. Amazingly, I was not very toned from it (except for my arms, I prided myself in pushing myself with 12 lb dumbbells during the weight “breaks” and ended up destroying my lower back).
    Anyway, I would go home and eat tons of carbs and soy and diet pop…probably a good 1500 calorie “lunch”.
    Now I workout with Jessica at home, varying the workouts, and eat a big bowl of oatmeal and organic fruit after, maybe 700 calories max. For me, that’s a HUGE difference! My belly, butt and legs look much better! My lower back doesn’t hurt with Jessica’s workout’s (I modify, or find another) And my arms and shoulders are killer! Thanks Jess!!

• Jessica Smith June 4, 2014, 1:12 pm

Thats great GingerAmy! So glad to hear you are feeling better and noticing results! Keep listening to your body and keep up the great work 🙂