Success Story #2: Sam M.

We’re so excited to begin sharing some of our community members’ success stories with you. This week we’re thrilled to share Sam’s accomplishments — be sure to show her some love in the comments below!
Name: Sam M.

About Me: I am a 25-year old, 5’3″ Filipina living in Perth, Western Australia.  I work in a metallurgical/minerals laboratory/plant that occasionally requires me to do some heavy lifting of up to 20kg loads.  I have always wanted to be fit and have a better body but never really had the opportunity.

My #JSTVFit Story: I tried running and soon realised it wasn’t for me.  I increased speed/distance and never saw any noticeable result except for a slightly improved stamina. Eventually I would get bored during my runs, and sought something more enjoyable. I came across your channel and saw a MOTHER LODE (forgive the mining pun haha that is what I do) of different workouts to choose from.  I love your happy demeanor despite the tough workouts; other trainers are just a tad bit too “aggressive-sounding” which can be a little frustrating and annoying sometimes.  I love how the workout and the music you pick go hand in hand so I can just concentrate on my exercises rather than strain my neck trying to look at the TV.  I feel as if you are talking directly to me and that really helps to get me to the finish line.  Also, Peanut is very entertaining and that helps to get rid of any frustration!

My Favorite #JSTVFit Workout: I love them all, and have a 3-week program based on your videos which I created myself, so that I don’t get bored and so I can do my favourite ones every week.  If I did have an ultimate favourite, it would probably be SOLE SCULPT.  I have been doing this once a week as part of my program since February and even though I have got it down pat, having also increased the weights I use, I still sweat buckets and feel the burn even in the middle of 4 degree weather (it is winter in Perth at the moment).  I love to hate HIIT Cardio and Core because of the switch lunge jumps and spider climb pair!  I still find it challenging and I am working on perfecting the entire workout, which is good because it means I still have somewhere to go.

The best healthy living advice I can share is: I learned that fitness is a lifestyle choice, not something you do once and then simply maintain afterwards.  It really has to be incorporated into your schedule.  I eat most healthy most of the time, but never had to go on any specific diet during my journey. Fitness is so ingrained in me now that I find myself sometimes squeezing in a workout at midnight after a busy day because I simply just cannot NOT have my exercise for the day.  I just got married on May 30 and am planning on having kids soon, and I know being fit and healthy will help me during motherhood, as well as the rest of my life.

My most exciting results: Since starting this program last February 2015, I have become stronger and much leaner.  The stubborn fat really shifted and I can finally see my abs which, in the 25 years that I have lived, I had never seen before!  I went from 125 to 116 lbs, a mere 9 lbs in 7 months. I also find myself doing simple changes like taking the stairs instead of the lift, and carrying a basket at the supermarket instead of using a trolley.  I can go to IKEA and load (and unload) all the heavy flatpacks into the car by myself!  More than looking better in a bikini or skinny jeans, these are the little things that make me proud of my progress and lifestyle change, and I owe it all to you Jessica!

Social Media Handle: Facebook: Sam.Mena

JESSICASMITHTV Success Story Sam M.

avataravataravatar

• Lily March 3, 2016, 7:51 am

Hi Sam,

First off, congrats and you look great! Could you please tell me what your typical diet is like in a day, like what you have to eat, what your meals are like, etc.?

Thanks.

• C Ann August 28, 2015, 11:01 am

Good for you Sam, you have the right attitude about health and fitness. It really is a lifelong commitment, and your family will learn to live by your example. You look so fit and healthy, congratulations!

• Sam M. August 30, 2015, 11:39 am

Thank you for your comment! My cousin in New York just started my program so yes it feels good to inspire others! Being fit and healthy is one thing, but having so much energy and strength takes the cake! 🙂

• Christina August 24, 2015, 2:36 pm

Thanks for sharing your story!
    “I feel as if you are talking directly to me and that really helps to get me to the finish line. ” That’s exactly how I feel about Jessica’s workouts!

• Sam M. August 30, 2015, 11:43 am

Thanks for reading! She’s so awesome! 😀

• Ale August 24, 2015, 7:27 am

Congratulations on your hard work and dedication, and the great thing is that it seems you’re having a lot of fun doing it. I’ve found, thanks to Jessica, that working out can be fun, and that’s a huge help. Your enthusiasm is contagious, thank you!

• Sam M. August 30, 2015, 11:56 am

No thank you for your comment! I certainly have found my “niche” in fitness with Jessica’s videos, and that’s why I have so much enthusiasm! 🙂

• Jackie Mc August 24, 2015, 2:57 am

Thanks Sam for sharing your story. I’m only 5ft 1″ and don’t have any weight to lose now but want to tone up and get stronger. I am amazed by your abs and you have given me the inspiration to continue. You look fabulous both inside and outside and I want to wish you all the best for your upcoming big day and beyond.

• Sam M. August 30, 2015, 11:20 am

Awww thank u Jackie!! I am amazed myself, it really is possible to mold our bodies to what we want them to be! The only downside is I lost my boobs, but nothing that a pushup bra can’t fix haha! 🙂

• Julie August 23, 2015, 1:32 am

Well done Sam you look fab. What videos did you use in you 3 week programme?

• Sam M. August 23, 2015, 9:54 am

15-min Abs, Butt, Thighs Routine*
      13-min Belly Fat Exercises*
      13-min HIIT Plyometrics*
      Sole Sculpt
      Cardio Bootcamp Boogie
      Full Body Stretch, Rest and Relax

Basically my week structure was:

Day 1: Strength
      Day 2: HIIT
      Day 3: 2-in-1 (cardio and resistance training)
      Day 4: Yoga
      Day 5*: Abs, butt, thighs, plyometrics
      Day 6: 2-in-1 (aka SOLE SCULPT my fave<3)
      Day 7: Should really be a rest day but I find that Cardio Bootcamp Boogie gives a good workout without overworking me 🙂

I would do the stretching routine anytime I feel sore 😀

FYI I have since revamped my program to include another week of workouts (and I modified the existing 3-weeks as well) so I am really excited!! Ahhh I can't say it enough but I really love exercising because of Jessica's videos! 😀

• Nicole August 22, 2015, 7:01 pm

I love these stories! Congrats to you, Sam! I love feeling strong in everyday life, too. 🙂

• Sam M. August 23, 2015, 7:57 am

Thanks Nicole! Let’s show the men that we can’t be (literally) pushed around! 😀 😀 😀

• Nicky August 22, 2015, 4:55 pm

People think when you’re smaller than them you have nothing to work on or to be conscious of but we do. I loved your story which solidified the planning of workouts. It takes out the guess work and keeps it interesting. Congrats Sam

• Sam M. August 23, 2015, 7:55 am

Thanks Nicky! You are absolutely right, people need to avoid monotony in their exercise programs in order to stay motivated. That’s why I love Jessica’s videos as there are just sooooo many to choose from, it’s IMPOSSIBLE to get bored! 😀

• Sherry G August 22, 2015, 1:26 pm

Congratulations! That’s a wonderful success story and you look great! And I agree, becoming stronger and more fit is even more awesome!

• Sam M. August 23, 2015, 7:51 am

Thank you Sherry! Congratulations on your hard work as well! I am sure your daughter is very proud of you! 😀

• Susan August 22, 2015, 1:20 pm

Congrats Sam! You look great, and you’re right, it’s a lifestyle choice!

• Sam M. August 23, 2015, 7:47 am

Thank you! Yes it is indeed something we have to consider in our daily lives! 🙂

• Joyfulmomof6 August 22, 2015, 1:10 pm

Congratulations on your success and your marriage! I know some people might think it’s strange that you said you started at 125 (wanting to lose weight), but it’s all a matter of proportion. I am like you…a half inch shorter actually, and every extra pound shows….Our dear friends and neighbors are Fillipino and we love the culture and the yummy food….Jessica’s workouts allow me to enjoy the fabulous feasts once in awhile without worries.

• Sam M. August 23, 2015, 7:43 am

Right on!! A lot of our food is very salty and oily as well so we really need to counteract with a bit of fitness! 🙂

• Deb August 21, 2015, 9:12 am

Congrats Sam! You look fantastic!

• Sam M. August 21, 2015, 7:37 pm

Thank u! But more than the physical change, I am loving my newfound energy, strength, and stamina which makes me less stressed/tired! 🙂

• Michelle August 20, 2015, 11:25 am

~I learned that fitness is a lifestyle choice, not something you do once and then simply maintain afterwards.~ Yes! Thanks for sharing your success. I am glad to see I am not the only one squeezing a workout in late at night! Here is to a lifetime a fitness!

• Sam M. August 20, 2015, 10:24 pm

A lifetime of fitness is also a lifetime of fitness fashion yay! 😛