Why Words Like “Inner Thigh Gap,” “Slim Saddlebags” and “Love Handles” Appear On My Content

shutterstock_1611020

I know you’ve seen these headlines time and again, on many of my workouts, videos and articles:

Banish Batwings!

Lose Your Love Handles!

The Skinny Jeans Workout!

Blast Off Belly Fat!

So I thought I’d take a minute to share with you a little bit about why you see these kinds of phrases in my workouts and content even though those of you know me know that my message and mission is not focused simply on weight loss, but rather on helping you live healthy, happy & fit!

Ok, back to those crazy words (like inner thigh bulge – gasp!)… Like it or not, these are the search terms the general public is ‘Googling’ when it comes to finding exercises, workouts, tips and more. Believe me, I wish everyone was looking for things like “how to be healthy” and not “how to fit into size-0 skinny jeans.” But using these kinds of words, phrases and terms, based on search traffic analytics and keyword tools, help us reach the broadest audience possible with our content. And I’ll admit, it may not be the most upfront technique, but unfortunately, headlines like, “The most effective way to lose belly flab is to eat less and exercise more” just don’t garner that much attention.

Instead, I’ll use terminology that is attention-grabbing and frequently searched for, and then, once I’ve got your attention, I aim to share the most accurate and up to date info possible to help you reach your goals in the safest, most realistic way (and maybe even help change a mind or two about why those skinny jeans are much less important than strength, vitality and health).

One of the best lessons I learned early on in my fitness career was that sometimes our job as industry professionals is to try to give our clients or audience what they need, but package it as what they want. Many people come to me trying to lose weight, but what they may not realize is that my primary goal is to help them first and foremost, be the healthiest and happiest version of themselves possible (and usually, weight loss is a positive side effect that occurs when we work towards this goal).

So no matter how you found me (skinny jeans search or otherwise), or what your goal is, I hope you’ll stick around. Because I’d like to help you live at your healthiest and happiest level. And if we can slim down a saddlebag or two in the process, well that would just be the icing on the cake! (And yes, I believe in cake too — in moderation, of course 😉

I’d love to hear from you now.. let’s keep the discussion going! What are your thoughts on this subject? What do you think about these types of headlines and phrases? When you search for workouts, tips, etc what kinds of phrases do you use? What headlines grab your attention most? (No judgements here!)

avataravatar

• Karen Deily Tannenbaum August 25, 2016, 7:25 am

Many people contact me or ask me how to start a fitness program or what should they do. I tell them after getting medical clearance to start an exercise program to go to your jessicasmithtv sight for workouts from 5, 10 and 15 minutes and start there….something for everyone and probably the best place to start and KEEP going…no dread factor. Not just starting but continuing to workout is the key! Thank you for your wonderful workouts and your DVDs…

• Jessica Smith August 26, 2016, 3:36 pm

Thanks Karen! 🙂

• Angela February 10, 2016, 1:07 pm

I wish for your mobile app to be active again😉

• Staci October 15, 2015, 6:30 am

I am a Revelation Wellnesss instructor. You sound just like us who teach Rev. Classes. It’s not about hating your body, but about loving who you are and becoming healthy and whole. If you’re curious about what a revelation wellness instructor is, check out Revelation wellness.org !! 🙂 And thank you, you have a lot of great workouts, and i borrow a few moves for my classes from time to time, I teach a Barre fusion class and love to mix it up a bit :-)!
    Blessings ,
    Staci 🙂 🙂

• Lucy September 25, 2015, 4:43 pm

I actually found you by searching for cardio for bad knees 🙂 It doesn’t bother me at all that you use those other kinds of phrases too. Your videos are so positive, light and fun, you don’t put any negative emphasis body images, so i feel positive about it when I’m doing one of your workouts. Phrases like ‘Lose the love handles’ only become negative when you surround it with negativity. Casually talking about it and making it a normal thing to talk about helps us relax about it all. 🙂

• Judy June 28, 2015, 9:59 pm

I have my own online shop so I understand the SEO reasons for using those keywords. Luckily I found you through a Facebook friend who loves your workouts. In turn I tell others who want to exercise on a low budget. Word of mouth = free advertising!

• Tracy May 23, 2015, 1:33 pm

Preach!

• Barbora May 23, 2015, 8:39 am

To speak for myself, I am too sometimes looking for these phrases, because I want to find the best excercise and workout to get f.e. inner tight gap or flat abs. All my life I was a chubby girl, with bigger bottom, bigger belly and hips. Nobody ever told me I was fat but I didn´t feel good about myself but I was still lazy to start doing regular excercises.
    Now, when I am much older (32) and after my first pregnancy I feel very uncomfotable in my own body and although I try to eat healthy, I feel I also have to do some workout. I have tried many excercises but it never took longer than 2-3 days. Until I have found your workouts on youtube. And it was just love at first sight 🙂 I started with walking but after few days I tried also another workouts like kickboxing, ballet, working with dumbells which I was aware of at first, because I thought that I would gain more muscles and will be puffy instead of losing weight. But I love them. I love every workout, I like the way you are talking to us and encourage us to do more and work more but also think about our body and safety for our joints and knees and so on.. I love that you show us also a variety of your workouts that can suit to anyone.
    Now it is 2 months and I still follow your workouts regularly and I just fell in love with you and Peanut 😀
    Thinking about to get a T-shirt for me as well, so I will fell more connected with you 😀
    I am wishing you all the best. I am talking about you to my friends who are struggling with their weights and everybody loves it. Keep going, you are the best!!! 🙂

• Ale May 10, 2015, 2:44 pm

Thank you for this post, I actually asked myself the question because the “bikini body” thing doesn’t really match everything I’ve read and learn from you.
    And your explanation makes sense – not that I ever doubted you. I’m trying to do my part by telling all my friends about your website, hope it helps!

I’m sendnig you a big hug, although you just killed me with the 40 minutes indoor jogging workout,

Ale, Paris

• Emily Amiri May 3, 2015, 9:39 am

Hi Jessica I just wanted to say that I love your videos! I started using them last summer. I have lost about 70 lbs so far when I first started using your videos I have psoriatic arthritis and everyone knows keeping active helps it but it’s hard when you can’t get on the floor to do some ab workouts and can’t jump around because your in too much pain so I was so grateful to find your videos I love how they are lower impact and still I have had great success with them ! Just wanted to say your great at what you do and I will continue to spread the word of jessicasmithtv
    Emily from Ottawa Canada

• jesso514 January 20, 2014, 7:36 pm

Hi Jessica,
    I also feel the use of the buzz words are a necessary evil. I don’t think those are what draw me to a work out, since I know what I like to do, but I think they work to draw other people since most people notice a problem area and want to fix that one area. Hopefully, once they start, they realize that the body isn’t a collection of parts to be singled out, but a whole that must be addressed as such. Having said that, I totally need to spend more time on my upper body 🙂 I really enjoy your workouts, and am interested in checking out your new DVDs, Barre in particular. Thank you for your focus on wellness and happiness, not just on appearance.

• Jessica Smith January 21, 2014, 3:42 pm

Thanks so much for your comment! I’m happy to hear you’ve moved beyond those kinds of buzz words into the deeper meaning of movement 🙂 Thanks for checking out my workouts and my DVDs!

• Julia August 29, 2013, 4:02 pm

Jessica,
    While I have been a collector of fitness DVDs for years now, I am just now making my way towards your workouts. I have found that the fitness industry is “packed” in most cases to sell the Skinny Dream. And while I do understand why you have to use key terms, I am just grateful that your true intention is for wellness, health, positive energy!

I am weeks shy of my 31st birthday and until I was 28, I battled eating disorders. It threw my body into chaos and as a result my weight is higher than I could have ever imagined but more importantly, it has caused my body to become easily stressed during any exercise. I have found these days I just cannot go at an intense pace without my internal workings, hormones, joints, energy, and internal dialogue being sent on a negative path.

I have learned my limits and thus, have been in the market for something “new”. While your approach isn’t radical, it certainly isn’t, I feel, in the majority when you look at the health and fitness industry. I just want to personally say “thank you”. I’ve never been into downloads of working out with youtube-based classes, however, I feel what you have to offer is something I desire so much that I am going to make the switch. Thanks to my husband, I am going to get something hooked up to the Tv so I can use your workouts with a larger screen.

I was also quite pleased to see your latest DVD offerings and again, the focus being health, wellness, and positive energy. I did purchase your walking workout and adore it. I am now also going to invest in your strength and balance workout. I have to say the outdoor scenery certainly helps with motivation, positive energy, and relaxation.

Thank you for offering all that you do and I hope that this is something we all can look forward to seeing more of in the future!

• jessicasmithtv August 29, 2013, 8:37 pm

Hi Julia! Thank you so much for your kind and heartfelt comment! I’m so glad you felt a connection with my workouts, and I am so thrilled I can be your workout partner! I hope you will continue this great focus you have now on taking care of your body, your health and positive energy. Please do stay tuned.. I have several more projects in the works for you that I think you may enjoy 🙂

• krommama August 6, 2013, 8:57 pm

I found your site by searching for walking workout videos on youtube. I really like your walking videos. I especially like that they are done in a small space and are low impact, and I really appreciate that you are so encouraging. I don’t need a drill sergeant!

• Nani August 6, 2013, 7:07 pm

Love it

• Nala August 6, 2013, 10:06 am

Hi Jessica,

I for one understand that you need to use certain keywords in order to draw people to your videos or website. That’s just the way things work these days. I’ll admit at first all I wanted to do was fit into size 2’s and blast the fat or love handles, but the more I exercised the more I realized it was more about how happy, healthy and energized I felt as opposed to losing weight. So I look forward to staying around on your blog to see the wonderful tips you have to stay healthy and happy….I’m all for it!

P.S. I found your videos through another workout channel.

• Christina August 6, 2013, 8:11 am

As a woman in my late forties, I tend to search for phrases involving “muscle maintenance” and “avoiding bone loss” when I look for exercise information on line. One thing I can tell you from experience, however, is that the way to lose belly fat is NOT to eat less and exercise more. The way to lose belly fat is to eat NO grains, legumes, and non-fermented dairy (yogurt and cheese are o.k.), DO eat lots of veggies and healthy fats, and exercise in moderation, with an emphasis on resistance training and intervals for cardio. I lost almost 40 pounds this way and have maintained my lower weight for about 3 years and counting. I don’t count calories, I eat lots of full fat, and I don’t kill myself with exercise. I do mostly vinyasa yoga and barre, and I throw in your YouTube videos for variety. Loved the kickboxing intervals yesterday. Gave me the good sweat that I was craving. Keep up the good work, Jessica! Also, I love Peanut 🙂 she’s adorable.

• Sherry August 5, 2013, 4:32 pm

Very good post. I’m another one who found you through Collage Video. I already knew the health benefits of exercise, so the buzz words are just that to me – society’s way of describing fitness. While the titles of workouts or articles are sometimes not my cup of tea, it doesn’t really matter to me that much, and I certainly don’t blame the instructor. It’s the workout and the overall philosophy of the instructor that attracts me. However, I didn’t realize that about search engines, although it would follow that you would have to use the words that our culture associates with fitness. Hopefully, we will see more interest from people in fitness and healthy living as a lifestyle choice, and less on appearance. I’m trying to educate my daughter about this, so that she can enjoy a healthier lifestyle.

• Cheri Barber McElroy August 5, 2013, 2:32 pm

Absolutely agree with this post. A love you for your message, mission, and fabulous workouts. Thanks for sharing this with us.

• gategrrl August 5, 2013, 1:35 pm

Hi Jessica,

I have a friend who runs a few websites, and after hearing about how search engines *really* work, with certain key-words and phrases and rankings, I totally understand your use of the latest buzz words for these search engines. You almost need to be a specialist to keep up with the engines! So it doesn’t bother me when these phrases pop up in your blog/video titles.

Honestly though, I can’t remember using a search engine to find your site–I found it through CollageVideo and/or another online exercise DVD store {I’m spacing on the name}. With all the rave reviews, it was hard NOT to find your site by your name! Okay, *that* is how I found it, by your name, not by these phrases.

So, I hope no one thinks you, or other good & non-hype instructors out there are thought of as hypocrites or worse because you or they use the phrases required by search engines to find the websites. It’s the nature of the web. And it IS a business as well as a way to help people get healthier & moving more.

Julie

• Joanne August 5, 2013, 1:31 pm

I think that’s great that you use those words, because it does grab our attention. When I would look for workouts I didn’t use those kinds of words but they did grab my attention. I’m happy I found your channel because I too was only focused on losing weight any way I could. Now I try to be more focused on being healthy and when I forget, you always give me a needed reminder. I’m 48 yrs old going to be 49 in a couple of months and let me tell you keeping the weight off is a struggle. Two years ago I weight 220 lbs. I now weigh 148.Your workouts and you as an instructor keep me motivated. So thanks so much for your help you give to all of us trying to be healthy 🙂