Lift and Shift Program FAQs

by | Feb 17, 2021 | 71 comments

How does the program work? Are the classes live or scheduled? Do we have access to it after the course ends?

Once you purchase the program it is yours to keep and use forever and however you wish. The ‘real time’ component simply refers to our goal to go through the first round of the program together (starting on Monday, March 15th) as a community so that we can check in and help support and motivate each other along the way. You’ll also receive our weekly email series for the first 12 weeks after you register to help encourage you and offer some additional ‘shift’ work as we go.

There are no specific class times as the videos are included with your purchase and you can access them any time you like. Our suggested schedule is included with our printable calendar, but you can also follow along at your own pace and on your own time if you prefer.

All of our check-ins are all done here on our website so there is no need for a social media account (you can view our month one check in page here).

After registration closes for round one of the program, you will continue to have lifetime access to your purchased program, however it will not be available for purchase again until we offer another round of the series (currently scheduled for June 2021). All of our current participants may choose to join the community team for another round of the series in June if they wish (at no additional cost, of course).

What if I don’t want to work out 5 days a week – how would I adjust the schedule?

The calendars are provided as a suggested guide (you can view them here in our program guide), however we always want you to make adjustments to meet your needs and preferences. And while the program is 5-days-a-week on the schedule, weeks 10 and 12 do suggest a 6-day-a-week schedule. To stick with a 5-day-a week schedule on Weeks 10 and 12, you may choose to skip either the Mobility or HIIRT days and/or pick up with them on your next workout day.

Let’s say for week 1 if you would rather train 3 days (vs the 5 suggested). You may want to do your Day 1 workout on Monday, Day 3 on Wednesday and Day 5 on Friday, with the option to skip or double up the shorter and more moderate Day 2 and 4 routines on your next workout day.

Or, let’s say you begin on Monday, but wake up by Wednesday feeling too sore for the recommended Day 3 workout. You may choose to move your Day 4 Mobility session to Wednesday and then pick up your Day 3 workout on Thursday instead.

You may also find it easier just to use an every other day schedule with the rotation, so Monday would be Day 1, Tuesday is a rest day, Wednesday would be Day 2, etc. Please feel free to spread out your sessions any way that works best for your needs and preferences.

We always want you to listen to and honor your body during your journey, so we’ve built in flexibility with this plan. One of our favorite mottos is ‘something is always better than nothing,’ so if you have a day where you are super short on time, don’t forget your options for a shorter workout (such as only the first round of our “Total-Body Strength [Compound Supersets]”, “Fine Toning,” or any of the core or mobility routines) that you can plug in any time you need to. Or, maybe you just need to go for a 15 minute walk one day due to time or energy constraints and then are able to pick back up on the schedule the next.

We know there are times when life gets in the way, things come up or you just aren’t feeling well . Please just rest and readjust when you need to — keep making it work for you as we go.

What should I do for the cardio days? Do you have recommendations for which videos to use on those days?

We have made suggestions on what type of cardio you may want to add in (please note you may also choose to make these days additional rest or stretching days too, if you prefer, the cardio is optional) here in our program guide on pages 14-15. We have created two sample outlines of how your interval and endurance sessions may look and you can use those general guidelines for any type of cardio you may enjoy, such as walking, running, cycling, etc. indoors or out.

If you prefer to follow along with any of our other workouts, we have a large variety of options available in our DVD/digital download library and on our YouTube channel, so please feel free to add in your favorites any time you wish. Our cardio sessions typically note the type of training we’ll be doing either in the title or description (or both), so anywhere you see a reference to ‘intervals’ please feel free to use those sessions for the interval suggested days and any mention of endurance (or ‘steady state’), for those endurance session days.

Don’t worry too much about getting it exact though (you can swap interval for endurance sessions, etc), it’s more important that you are doing what you enjoy too.

What should I do after the program ends? Do you have a schedule that combines Lift and Shift with your other programs?

We don’t currently have a plan to do a rotation that combines this series with our other plans at this time, but you can most definitely add these sessions in to our other rotations as often as you’d like. You can swap out any ‘Total Body’ sessions for any of those with ‘Total Body’ in the title, same for ‘Lower Body’ or ‘Upper Body’ and similarly titled ‘Core’ or ‘Mobility’ (flexibility) sessions as well.

You may want to try our suggested Recovery Week schedule (you can find it at the end of your printable calendar) once you have completed all 12 weeks (or, if you need a break sooner, you can always use this schedule if your body needs a break from the harder training during the plan as well) before moving on to your next program or repeating the series again.

Don’t see your question here? Please leave it for us in the comments below so we can answer it for you.

Join Us!

Become a part of our community by signing up for our free emails and we’ll send you our welcome packet full of tips to get you started today and our exclusive subscriber savings code to SAVE 25% OFF our 6 Week System!

71 Comments

1. Lori

I’m new and can’t find the lift and shift rotation and or anything about it… I’m intrigued… Help?

• Jessica Smith

Hi Lori! Welcome and thank you for your interest in our “Lift and Shift” course. You can learn more about the program here on our website https://www.liftandshift.us/
      Our next round and registration is scheduled to open in June. We would love to have you join us if it looks like a good fit for you.

2. Lisa Frye

Looking ahead to the end of the Lift and Shift series, how can we incorporate these workouts into the master rotation with our other DVD/YouTube workouts?

• Jessica Smith

Hi Lisa! I love that you are already planning ahead! You can most definitely add these sessions in to our other rotations as often as you’d like. You can swap out any ‘Total Body’ sessions for any of those with ‘Total Body’ in the title, same for ‘Lower Body’ or ‘Upper Body’ and similar;y titled ‘Core’ or ‘Mobility’ (flexibility) sessions as well. I hope this is helpful, but please feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions or would like any more specific guidance. Thanks so much for joining us for this journey. We’re so glad you are here! 🙂

3. Janine

Hi Jessica,
    I have a question about one of the moves: diagonal lunges in the HIIRT workout, I think I don’t understand it. I am not sure what the pivoting adds to the exercise. I do a forward lunge each time with the pivot in between, is that correct? The word ‘diagonal’ makes me think I should step out on the diagonal, but then the pivoting would not make sense. Can you help me understand this move (and its benefit over a regular forward lunge)? (Can you tell I am confused? lol)

• Jessica Smith

Hi Janine! Thanks so much for this great question! I’m sorry if my cueing wasn’t more clear on these, I am so glad you asked about them if you are confused! On the diagonal lunges, think of our lunging targets as a clock face. If you are lunging with your right leg, you are aiming to close the 2 o’clock (forward) and close to the 4 o’clock (back) position. Lunging forward on a diagonal to reach the 2 o’clock position, your back heel simply lifts off the ground as there isn’t as much pivoting action happening towards that corner, but then after you step back to your start position with your feet together, when you are lunging to reach back to the 4 o’clock position, your back heel has to lift again, but this time the ball of the foot has to pivot as your body is reaching towards that back corner. This type of lunge variation helps us work on agility, coordination and mobility, while targeting the glutes, inner thighs and deep core muscles even more than in most traditional lunge patterns. Does that help clarify better? 🙂

• Janine

OK, it makes a lot more sense now. Thank you!

4. Robin Lindblad

Hi Jessica and team,
    I use MyFitnessPal to track my diet and exercise, and I was wondering what I should call the mobility workouts when I record them. So far, I’ve been calling them Pilates, but I don’t know enough about Pilates to know how accurate that is. Thanks!

• Jessica Smith

Hi Robin! Thanks for your great question. For the mobility routines, you could classify those as either stretching and/or flexibility routines, if those are options. Hope this helps 🙂

• Robin Lindblad

Thanks, Jessica. When I asked my question, I said ‘Mobility Workouts,’ but I was actually thinking about the Fine Toning one, which I had done that morning. I wasn’t looking at the schedule and couldn’t remember the name of it. I just did the Wind Down a few minutes ago, and it was just what I needed, as I was pretty sore. Thank you for such a complete program!

• Jessica Smith

Hi Robin! Ah ok! You could try inputting “Fine Toning” as Pilates, but that will just give you a general number (all of the exercise totals are going to be general anyway as they cannot really read into your full calorie burn capacity) as it’s a little more active than most Pilates sessions but a little less than our usual ‘circuit training’ workouts.The hardest part about these tracking devices/tools is that it’s very hard to get any kind of accurate calorie burn reading with them, especially within the broad categories they have. If you like to use tracking, MFP can be a helpful tool for tracking food calories, which is more important than your exercise calories if your ultimate goal is weight loss. I hope this helps a little bit 🙂

5. Justyna

Hi Jessica!
    Thank you for this program – I enjoy it very much!

I just wanted to suggest something that in my opinion would improve experience of the program – I would love to have a button that would move back the video by 10-15 seconds. I’m often interrupted by my kids and loose those valuable seconds of my training because it’s so difficult to reverse (especially on my phone when the training is over 40 minutes it’s impossible to swipe correctly).

Hope the above makes sense.
    Many thanks,
    Justyna

• Jessica Smith

Hi Justyna! Thanks so much for joining us for the program, we’re so happy to have you here with us. And thank you so much for your fantastic suggestion! I have already forwarded it to our team to see if thats something that we can include (fingers crossed!). I will let you know as soon as I can 🙂 In the meantime, please keep up the amazing work you are doing, I know it’s not always easy working out at home with kids! You deserve extra credit for your incredible focus and dedication – way to go! Thanks again for joining us for this journey. We can’t wait to see you for another session soon 🙂

6. Peggy

Unfortunately I started this program with a back injury and Im not new to exercise, just took a hiatus from Cross fit and running… (due to back)had to stop your program but continued every day with others from you I found on you tube which I have been enjoying from many years.
    Hoping to restart soon..curious about the Walk Strong program if that would be better for my current situation. ? I am continuing with weights and strength and the cardio , all with moderation. Just looking for some ways to change it up while I heal, which is getting better every day.

• Jessica Smith

Hi Peggy! I’m so sorry to hear about your back! I’m glad you listened to your body and stopped. Have you had an expert diagnosis of your injury with a treatment plan (and things to avoid, etc)? We definitely don’t want you to continue doing anything that could further worsen your condition so it may be a good idea to get an expert diagnosis prior to returning to your workouts. We’re huge fans of the McKenzie method for back pain and prevention (here’s an interview from several years ago that might be helpful with some more info about back pain – of course it cannot diagnose or treat your specific issue, but just in case you may find it helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX12PMrY8Yo). We’ll be here for you just as soon as you are able to get back to your full routine again. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery! 🙂

7. Charlotte Peck

What is best if you miss a day due to your schedule? I missed a Wednesday Total-Body Strength and did it on Thursday. Now i don’t know if it is best to keep the Cardio/wind down that is scheduled or skip that and do Total Body Definition to get back on track. I guess I’m asking if it is okay to do two full strength workouts on consecutive days or should there be a rest day in between?
    Thanks!

• Jessica Smith

Hi Charlotte! Thanks so much for your great question! For the strength sessions, I typically recommend allowing at least one day in between full body strength sessions (Fine Toning uses light weights and works a bit differently so we can do that one back to back), so in this instance I’d say keep the cardio/wind down line up for your next session and then pick up Total Body Definition on your next workout day. And you can always move sessions around as much as needed to help you adjust to your scheduling needs and preferences as you go. I hope this helps a bit. Thanks so much for being here with us. Can’t wait to see you for another session soon 🙂

8. Julianne

Hi, I’m in awe of everyone’s enthusiasm, but I’m new to the “digital” platform and finding it really frustrating. I’ve loved working out at home – long before Covid – and I also love strength training. But I’m used to being able to put a DVD in and follow on my TV screen, which is on the wall and easily visible from everywhere in my workout space. Now I’m trying to do these workouts from my laptop, but I constantly have to move its location between exercises in order to be able to see the screen, depending on whether we’re doing standing, seated, kneeling, or floor work. And I need to pause the screen while re-positioning, which means using the mouse and/or keyboard. I find it hard to operate the mouse with my gloves on. And impossible to see the keyboard/use the mouse to re-wind a bit, without my glasses on – which I only need for up close reading, not while exercising. It’s a constant stop-start, glasses on-off, gloves on-off etc. (Or leaving gloves on, but really struggling with the fine motor skills!) This can’t be how it’s supposed to go. What am I missing? There seems to be a lot of people near my age (60), who presumably also need glasses, and some people who like using weight gloves. How does everyone else manage this? Cheers,

• Jessica Smith

Hi Julianne! Welcome to the program! We are so happy to have you joining us for this journey! And we would love to see if we can help you find a better way to view your workouts! While there are lots of ways you can cast to your TV (such as using AppleTV, Chromecast, Roku, etc), one of the simplest options you may want to consider is using an HDMI cable (they run about $10) to connect your laptop to your TV so that you don’t have to worry about repositioning at all and you can fully focus on your workout! Here’s a YouTube video that may be helpful on how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s532CgZNrMg

I’m also going to send you an email too so that we can see if we are able to help offer you additional assistance getting your set up optimized for you.

Thanks so much for being here with us. Can’t wait to join you for another session soon 🙂

• Charlene

What if I have a fire stick? What’s the easiest way to get you to my tv?

• Jessica Smith

Hi Charlene! The app isn’t currently compatible with Fire Stick, but you can use AppleTV, Chromecast, Roku, a SmartTV, or my fav, a simple HDMI cable to connect your device to view on your TV 🙂 Please let us know if you need more help setting up your screen, we’re always here to help and happy to assist!

9. Michelle

Jessica, I have a question about holding the weights. I have a couple of issues. I have a hard time holding the weights, especially when I am trying to hold a 25 pound weight at the ends. Is it ok to hold it like we do in the goblet squats or to hold 2 15 pound weights at my side? I need heavier weights to challenge my legs, but then the weight is hard for me to hold either because my hands are too small or my upper body isn’t strong enough to hold it up. (I tried holding a 30 pound kettle bell this morning for total body definition)

I’m on week 3 and loving it! HIRT was really challenging! I’m so grateful for your programs. I have lost 45 pounds and love all of the brain stuff and motivational quotes.

• Jessica Smith

Hi Michelle! Thanks for your great question — the struggle is real! Yes, please feel free to adjust your positioning to make it easier for you to hold, and if a kettle bell is better you can certainly sub it in as well. Do you wear weight training gloves? I find that helps a little bit and another tip I have found also helps is to really make sure the dumbbell ‘neck’ is positioned right across your palms. If it starts to drift out into your knuckles (which heavy weights tend to do) it can really start to cause strain. The wrist flexion/extension moves we do in Fine Toning should help build a little more grip strength (as will all of your sessions with the weights), but please do continue to adjust as needed to make it as comfortable as possible to hold safely on to your weights.

Congrats on powering through week 3.. you are doing such great work! Congrats to you on all of your hard work and accomplishments. Thanks so much for being here with us. Can’t wait to join you for our next session together soon 🙂

10. Helena Fish

Hi, I’m on day 6 of lifts &shift, which I am enjoying so far, but the optional day says ‘cardio day – intervals’ and next optional day ‘cardio day – endurance’ etc. They don’t seem to be part of the lift and shift programme so where do I access these?

• Jessica Smith

Hi Helen! Great job with week one! It sounds like you are off to a super strong start, please keep up the fantastic work! Thank you so much for moving with us this week. And thank you for your great question. Your cardio days are optional (you may also want to make these days additional rest or stretching days too, if you prefer). You can do these on your own if you like, and if you need some help with the structure of these sessions we have created two sample outlines of how your interval and endurance sessions may look here in our program guide on pages 14-15. You can use those general guidelines for any type of cardio you may enjoy, such as walking, running, cycling, etc. indoors or out. If you prefer to follow along with any of our other workout videos, we have a large variety of options available in our DVD/digital download library and on our YouTube channel, so please feel free to add in your favorites any time you wish. Our cardio sessions typically note the type of training we’ll be doing either in the title or description (or both), so anywhere you see a reference to ‘intervals’ please feel free to use those sessions for the interval suggested days and any mention of endurance (or ‘steady state’), for those endurance session days. Please don’t worry too much about getting it exact though (you can swap interval for endurance sessions, etc), it’s more important that you are doing what you enjoy too. I hope this helps! We can’t wait to see you for week 2 soon 🙂

11. Deborah Margolin

I’ve completed Days 1, 2, and 3 but modified a few things since I am not a “veteran” at strength training. It’s also challenging for me to do floor work so I’ve been using a chair. I love the pace and also how I feel when I’m finished! Hoping that by the end of the 12 weeks modifications won’t be needed.

• Jessica Smith

Hi Deborah! Awesome job on Days 1-3! You are off to a super strong start, way to go! I’m so happy to hear you are honoring your body with adjustments and modifications that work best for you, please keep up the amazing work! Thanks so much for being here with us. Can’t wait to join you for Day 4 soon 🙂

12. Denise

Started the program this morning. Have to admit my legs were shaking after Total Body Strength. Loved it! Watched Fine Toning so that I’m ready to rock and roll tomorrow morning:)

• Jessica Smith

Way to work it today Denise! Thanks so much for moving (and shaking) with us on Day One today, you did great! Love that you already previewed Fine Toning and are all ready to go for Day 2. Can’t wait to move with you again soon. Keep up the awesome work 🙂

13. Kelly Peters

I was wondering what is good recommended weights to use for the light medium and heavy? I’m not new to exercise

• Jessica Smith

Hi Kelly! Thank you for your great question. The recommended weight ranges you’ll see in the workouts are: HEAVY = 10 – 35+ pound dumbbells, MODERATE = 8 – 25 pound dumbbells, LIGHT = 5 – 15 pound dumbbells. Of course these are general range recommendations; you may need to use even lighter (or heavier) weights depending on your current fitness level. You may also need to ‘drop set’ (ie. drop down to a lighter weight when you can’t keep good form with your current amount to finish a set of reps during an exercise) or even finish out all the reps with just your body weight if needed. Hope this helps 🙂

14. Alessandra

HI, sorry to write again, but I see that there’s a “Month One exercise” somewhere and I don’t know where to find it. I had to bookmark https://www.liftandshift.us and the Month One check-in page otherwise I can’t access them from anywhere, maybe I’m missing something? Thank you again!

• Jessica Smith

Hi Alessandra! Yes, great question! The month one exercise is included in your month one email (it comes 3-5 days after your welcome email), depending on what day you registered for the plan you may not have received this message yet so it may be on the way soon. If you haven’t received it by the end of this week, please let me know so we can check on it for you. Our messages also sometimes get stuck in spam folders too so please double check there as well. 🙂

• Alessandra

I just got it, thank you very much. Looking forward to start later today!

15. Lee

Hello! I’m very excited to get started tomorrow! Do you have any weight tracking sheets for recording the weight of our dumbells for each exercise? I have found this helpful for other workouts where you are cycling through workouts more than once. If not I’ll just make a spreadsheet for myself. Thank you!

• Jessica Smith

Hi Lee! Welcome to the program! We are so excited to get started with you too! We don’t have a spreadsheet for weight tracking (sorry about that 🙂 but that’s a great idea for tracking your progress. Feel free to share us us your progressions so we can cheer you on along the way too! Thanks so much for being here with us. See you for Day One soon! 🙂

• Lee

Thank you! I really enjoyed the first two workouts!

🙂

16. Bernis

Hello, I have to say that strength training use to be one of my pet peeves. That was before I met Peanut. I’ve already started the program a week ago and I’m feeling the positive results in mind, body, and spirit. This is exactly what was missing from my years of workouts. Some days I just want to be in denial, but I persevere because this is the icing for my cake. Thank you Jessica for sharing your routines and family (Peanut) with us, and congrats to you and yours on the arrival of the new family member. That in itself is a true blessing. I want Peanut to know that wearing her t-shirt gives me my SUPER POWERS to see this through.

Since my grand dog passed away 6 months ago, I sort of adopted Peanut as my new virtual grand dog. She keeps me smiling every time I think about her high ENERGY and the efforts she’s putting forth in her workouts. If you can do it Peanut, so can I! Love you guys

• Jessica Smith

Hi Bernis! Aw, this is so wonderful to hear! I’m so thrilled to hear you are already feeling such positive results, yay! And thank you so much for your kind words. This entire program was a labor of love, but I am so grateful to you all for allowing me to speak from my heart and put together what I needed to hear and do for myself at the time, in hopes that it might also help others too. I’m so sorry to hear about the passing of your grand dog (so heartbreaking!) but Peanut is thrilled to be able to step in virtually to help keep you company (she says thank you for wearing her shirt so well!). THANK YOU for being here with us. We love you too! 🙂

17. Lisa

I have a suggestion – you could offer additional versions of the workouts with the music mixed louder. Right now it’s a little quiet compared to Jessica’s voice. As we do these workouts multiple times and don’t need the form pointers as much, it would be great to have the music louder since it’s really good.

• Jessica Smith

Hi Lisa! Thank you so much for your great suggestion! We did keep the music in this series more in the background mainly you wouldn’t have to worry about pacing your moves to the beat quite as much, but I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the music. Please also feel free to add your own music as well (if you’d like) as we continue to repeat sessions, etc and you need less form pointers/reminders.

18. Keetha

I just purchased and am excited to start on Monday! I’m going to do my workout (Day 19 of the 28-Day January Jump Start) and then print the calendar and guide.

My question: What is Rebecca the Dietitian’s Nourish and Fit program? I saw it mentioned in the program guide but it didn’t seem to be linked?

Thank you!

And thanks so much for all the amazing free content on your YouTube channel. I’ve turned my mom onto the walking workouts and a couple of other friends to the workout programs there, too.

• Jessica Smith

Hi Keetha! Welcome to the program, we are so happy to have you joining us for this journey! And thank you for your great question. Rebecca is a dietitian we work with (she regularly contributes to our blog) and she has a great nutrition program if you are in need of any assistance with that piece of the equation. Here’s the link to her program where you can learn more about what she offers: https://rebeccathedietitian.com/nourished-and-fit/ Hope this helps. We’re so glad you are here and are so excited to get started with you soon. Here’s to your STRENGTH and SUCCESS! 🙂

19. Janine

Hi, I couldn’t wait and already started. Wow, you did it again! I’m only 3 days in but I can tell this program is going to be great. However, I’m not sure what to do with stretching. At the end of the workout I really feel like doing it, but should I hold off until later? Same day? Foam rolling before bed or something? Could you provide some guidance on how to handle it?

• Jessica Smith

Hi Janine! Thank you so much for joining us for this journey and for jumping right in! Great job! And thanks for your great question! The stretching component is really up to you and your preferences. If you really like to stretch at the end of your sessions, our express post workout stretch is a great add-on option you can use at any time. The research is mixed, but there is some indication that stretching later in the day (if you want to do it on the same day) may be more beneficial vs right after a strength session that breaks down muscle (which is how it gets stronger). Our Mobility: Wind Down routine is meant to be a helpful evening stretching option as it’s a great way to relax your body before bed and also to release tightness before sleep. Whether you prefer to stretch right after your workout, later in the day or the next day, please feel free to add in stretching as often and whenever you wish. The most benefit will come with you doing it when it feels best for you and your body. I hope this helpful. 🙂

20. Alessandra

Hello, I was very excited to start the program on the 15th but I suddendly had to travel, so I don’t have my weights with me.
    My question is: is it possible to work with the resistance band instead for the first 2-3 weeks? I think the answer is “no”, so the next question is: will there be another cycle later, another possibility to start on the same schedule as other people? I see that registration closes on March 14th and I’m not sure what this means. I hope my message is clear (English is not my language). Anyway, a big big thank you for your wonderful work.

• Jessica Smith

Hi Alessandra! Welcome to the program! We’re so happy to have you here! And no worries at all if you won’t have all of your equipment with you during the official start. Holly, another community member here who will also be traveling at the beginning, plans to jump in as soon as she gets back home to her set up and we hope you will too (maybe the two of you can help guide each other through the first weeks once you both return? you can see her comment below on this page..). We’re closing registration on March 14th, but that simply means that no one else will be able to purchase the program and join in after that date (until we run another round together in June). The great news is that you own the program and have lifetime access to it, so there’s no rush to get through it by a certain date, so please just go at your own pace and work around your schedule. We wanted to provide our group the extra support and motivation that participating together can bring, which is why we have a deadline for registering. I hope this helps clarify and take some of the pressure off 🙂 We’re so glad you are here and look forward to starting with you just as soon as you are ready. (PS_ You may want to try the mobility or core routines if you want while you are away as they require very minimal equipment other than a chair and a mat or towel.)

21. Brenda

Hi Jessica,

I am four sessions in and I wanted to tell you how great the program is. I was intimidated when I saw that some of the sessions were fifty minutes but I was surprised how quickly the time went. I definitely find them challenging but I feel like I’m getting stronger already.

I also wanted to take a moment to thank you for this program. It obviously took a lot of work and time to create but all your hard work paid off. Thank you for everything you put into creating it.

Oh, and thank you to Peanut too. 😉

• Jessica Smith

Hi Brenda! Love that you already have four sessions done, way to go! And thank you so much for joining us for this journey. I’m so happy to hear that you are already feeling stronger, that’s fantastic! Thank you for allowing me to create and join you for this journey. I have been going through this series myself and I wanted to share all of this with you. I really appreciate your feedback and am so grateful to you all for this opportunity. Peanut and I can’t wait to see you for another session soon 🙂

22. Sheryl Rhinehart

I am a few days in and loving it! For the cardio endurance days, can you recommend existing Walk Strong workouts that would apply? For intervals I know I can do the ones in Burn Fat and Have Fun or Walk Strong 1 or 2. Would endurance be any of the steady state workouts without weights? Thanks!

• Jessica Smith

Hi Sheryl! Thank you so much for joining us for this journey! We’re so glad you are here and already going strong with your workouts, great job! And thank you for your great question. We have so many options on our previous programs that you can sub in at any time for the cardio and/or extra stretching, so feel free to add in your favorites. Our cardio sessions typically note the type of training we’ll be doing either in the title or description (or both) so anytime you see a reference to intervals please feel free to use those sessions for interval suggested days and any mention of endurance (or ‘steady state’) for those days. Don’t worry too much about getting it exact though, it’s also important that you are doing what you enjoy too. Hope this helps! Thanks so much for being here with us. 🙂

23. Lorena

Hi Jessica, I recently bought this programm, and I keep wondering which of yours DVD´s could I use, for the cardio days? Have you already planned to send a schedule with suggestions with cardios DVD´s? I really whish you´ll do soon.
    I started yesterday… and I love it!
    Huggs from Argentina

• Jessica Smith

Hi Lorena! We’re so excited to have you joining in with us all the way from Argentina, welcome to the program! And thank you for your great question. We have so many options on our previous programs that you can sub in at any time for the cardio and/or extra stretching, so feel free to add in your favorites. Our cardio sessions typically note the type of training we’ll be doing either in the title or description (or both) so anytime you see a reference to intervals please feel free to use those sessions for interval suggested days and any mention of endurance (or ‘steady state’) for those days. Don’t worry too much about getting it exact though, it’s more important that you are doing what you enjoy too. Hope this helps. Thanks so much for being here with us. 🙂

• Dorothy

Hi Jessica,
      I’m in the 8th week of the program. I’m having trouble with pain in my right arm. I want to keep going so I’ve cut back on the weights. I’m sticking to 5 or 8 lbs. Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you, Dorothy

• Jessica Smith

Hi Dorothy! You are doing so great, welcome to week 8! I’m so sorry to hear you are having trouble with a pain in your arm. We never want you to experience pain and/or work through pain during a workout as it can often be your body’s way of signaling that something isn’t right. If resting and/or going lighter on your weights isn’t helping, it may be worthwhile to have an examine by a medical professional who can help you figure out what may be causing the issue so that you don’t exacerbate it further and can know exactly how to allow it to heal/recover fully. If you need to pause your workouts for a bit (or at least stick to more moderate or lighter ones for now), please don’t worry! We’ll be right here for you just as soon as you are able to get back to it. Please keep us posted on how you are feeling. Sending you our very best wishes for a speedy recovery! 🙂

24. Holly

Hi, I have been following you for years. I am very excited about this program. I have experience weight lifting and do it on my own. However, I find it very difficult to maintain consistency by myself. I have been searching for a program that is not HIIT and will allow me to see my progress through some repetitive aspects like just adding more weights . Yet provide some variety so it is not boring. This sounds perfect. I am out of town for March so my access to dumbbells etc. will be limited, but I will do my best until I get home to my very small gym that has everything I need.

• Jessica Smith

Hi Holly! We’re so excited to have you joining us for this journey. Welcome! And please do feel free to adjust your sessions as needed while you are out of town. You may just want to start with the sessions that don’t require much equipment while you are away (such as the mobility routines, core work, etc), and then jump back in as soon as you are able to get to your full set up. We’ll be here for you as soon as you get back home 🙂

• Jessica Smith

Hi Holly! Team member Alessandra (you can find her comment above) is also going to be out of town for the start of the program in March, so maybe you two can team up once you are back home and with your equipment and help cheer each other on as you both are able to get started. 🙂

• Alessandra

Thank you very much! Hi Holly, I don’t know if this is helpful, but I’ve previewed the firts two workouts and here’s what I think: for the first one, I’ll do the “legs” part with my body weight which is enough extra weight I think:), and add dumbells when I go back home; for the “arms” part I have a resistance band and i’ll try to use it; I’m also putting books in bags with comfortable handles;
        for the second one, I have 1.5 liters water bottles (roughly 3.30 pounds).

I’ll start today after work and if you’re interested I’ll leave a comment in the “month one check in” page.

• Jessica Smith

That sounds like a great plan Alessandra! Way to make it work for you while you are away from your equipment. So glad you found a way to get started, can’t wait to join you for a session soon. 🙂

25. Shannon

First from what I have done so far, the Lift & Shift is fantastic!! If I want to add some of your other digital programs would it go into the same library or is that a different one from Jessica Smith TV? Thanks so much for your great workouts!!

• Jessica Smith

Hi Shannon! Welcome to the program! So happy to hear you have been diving right in and enjoying it so far, way to go! Thanks so much for moving with us. And thank you for you great question. While this program is not offered in our digital store, you can add our other programs to it by visiting our store home page here https://jessicasmith.fitness/ and logging in to your account. As long as you are using the same log in as you did with Lift and Shift all of your purchases should be accessible to you in your library. If you have any trouble with this or need any additional assistance, our tech support team will be happy to help. 🙂

26. Mary Lou Springstead

Hello there! I have a question about modifying push ups. I really struggle with them. Some of it I think is due to my body shape, as most of my weight is located at my hips and bum. I already use my knees, but you know how sometimes we are asked to push up from the floor slowly lifting everything together. Even on my knees, I don’t have the strength for this and end up lookin more like the dance move the worm. I’ve been practicing for years without much improvement. Any suggestions?

• Jessica Smith

Hi Mary Lou! This is a great question. While it’s hard for me to tell what might be happening without being able to see you in person, we do go over more push up tips in our Fine Toning routine that might be helpful. A big part of being able to maintain your body alignment comes from core strength (something we’ll also be working on over the next 12 weeks together :). Try to focus on the lowering phase of your push up primarily and then work your way into being able to push off the floor (even a few inches at a time) while maintaining your alignment (ie not letting your hips drop to the floor, etc) as you are able to progress. Please keep modifying as you go and do the best you can. It’s better to do much less, but with great form 🙂 You got this!

• Mary Lou Springstead

Thank you Jessica, I will keep working on it, focusing on the lowering down and the form and alignment. I really appreciate your thoughtful response. I will persevere.

• Jessica Smith

Just take it one workout at a time, you got this! (PS – I mostly do all of my push ups on my knees for best form, control and range of motion). Just stay tuned in to the quality of your movement, that is what matters most. 🙂

• Karen

Mary Lou I just came in here to ask the same thing! I look like I’m doing the worm on my way up and am worried about hurting my back. Jessica, after we push up an inch or two with proper form should we push back with our hips or continue the worm?

• Jessica Smith

Hi Karen! If you are really finding it a challenge to stay out of your back (which is so important that we stay aware of, great job!) during the way up on the push ups, another modification option you may want to consider is using a wall and/or countertop to do the push up movements so that you can use the same range of motion but with less pressure/weight as you build your strength. I hope this is helpful. Please keep up the great work. 🙂

27. Christa Marks

Hi! I’m super excited to start this journey with everyone. Quick question. For the hand weights.. I’m just starting out with weight lifting. Is a set of 2, 3 & 5 lbs good enough to start with or should I be going for 3, 5 & 8 lbs or even higher?

Thanks!

• Jessica Smith

Hi Christa! Welcome to the program, we are so glad you are here and are joining us for this journey. We recommend starting out with whatever weights you already own, and then adjusting during the routines as you go (ie adding more reps when they feel too light, dropping down to lighter weights or body weight only when they are too heavy, etc). Once you can complete all the reps of all of the movements then you may want to invest in the next set of heavier weights as you build your strength. I hope this helps 🙂

Submit a Comment